The students on this program will have the opportunity to attend to both out-patient and in-patient. They will also attend to children with cerebral palsy at the hospital. The program offers occupational therapy to several children.
The students will use their hands, mechanical and electrical machines as well as natural elements like heat and cold to assist clients in the alleviation of pain, restoration to good health and enhancement of function. If it is not possible for clients to return to a normal life, physiotherapists assist in their rehabilitation to a full life within the restrictions of their disabilities.
Some of the procedures students will engage in include the following:
- Evaluating the function of the muscular skeletal, nervous, respiratory and circulatory systems.
- Measuring joint range and muscle strength.
- Testing for loss of sensation.
- Evaluating the nature of pain.
- Analyzing patterns of posture and movement.
- Performing tests of lung capacity and electrical tests of nerves and muscles.
- Educating communities in a healthy lifestyle.
- Giving advice on coping with chronic illness.